Friday, November 21, 2008

Detroit what were you thinking?

Ok. If there is anything I've learned from this process (looking for a job) is that you show up for the interview prepared. How dare the CEO's from the big three show up in DC without so much as a powerpoint let alone a plan for their requested $25B bailout. Can you imagine going to a bank, without any documents or a business plan, and requesting a loan to save your poorly run business- injecting taxpayer money to continue down the same failed path as before- based upon the fact that you took the time out from your busy job to fly in on your corporate jet to be at the meeting? It was the sense of entitlement that really got me. I loved Tom Friedman's response to Brokaw last Sun. on MTP. Brokaw asked if Obama can look Detroit in the eye and say "drop dead?"

MR. TOM FRIEDMAN: "I think he can. He may have to, Tom. You know, Carl Levin, what did he say? He said, "You know, just give us this $25 billion and, and we'll be OK." Tom, if I thought with $25 billion we could save this industry, I'd be for it, OK? But I see no plan right now, no reason to suggest that these people who have driven this industry into a complete ditch have a plan to get it out in the long term and not come back to a six, three months from now, for another $25 billion. Show me that plan.
Remember, what was Detroit's plan two years ago when they, when they confronted this problem? It was to subsidize gasoline at a $1.99 a gallon if you bought a Hummer or Suburban or a big truck--that was their idea of innovation. So, you know, it was like a crack dealer offering subsidized crack rather than, you know, going to a clinic to get--to get off the drug. And, and who is the enabler of that? The enabler of that were the Carl Levins, all the Michigan delegation who didn't go to these people. The outrage of these people, "Now they--we have to save these jobs!" Where was their outrage two years ago, OK, about getting them to be more innovative, to getting them on top of the energy efficiency question? They have been enabling the destruction of this industry. So show me a plan. Show me a plan that says if we give you this $25 billion you're actually going to change. Absent that--remember, Tom, we're going to charge this $25 billion on our kids' Visa cards. This goes on our kids' Visa cards, and we have a moral obligation to make sure this is spent wisely."

Yesterday I found myself in the kitchen early in the morning so I turned on NPR (instead of Today) and it was one "the sky is falling" economic/job related story after another. I was surprised that I wasn't thrown into a full fledged panic attack.

I got a part-time temporary job with UPS.

I haven't posted for awhile due to the fact that I've been focused on submitting writing samples and writing cover letters. I made it to the second round for a campaign manager position in Phoenix, but it was determined that I wasn't a "fit" for the job. Which is a shame because it was for the maryjane policy project. If I don't fit there, do I fit anywhere?

It really sucks that the best thing the lame duck session will produce is an extension for unemployment benefits.

No comments: