Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Marijuana Policy Project
Alison Green
resumes@mpp.org

Greetings Alison, November 13, 2008

Please consider this as my cover letter for the position of Arizona Campaign Manager for the Marijuana Policy Project as seen on idealist.org. After reading the goal of the ballot initiative and the job qualifications and responsibilities contained in the job description, I am confident I would be a great asset to the campaign.

Specifically how might I be an asset? Some of my qualifications are as follows: I have successfully orchestrated signature drives; I have recruited supporters and trained them to become advocates; I have successfully lobbied local, state, and federally elected officials and co-chaired press conferences with elected officials; I understand the importance of coalition building through grassroots and grasstops organizing; I understand the absolute necessity of fundraising; and finally I understand the dedication, hard work and long hours it takes to win a campaign. I am a campaign operative for progressive issues and candidates, with more wins under my belt than losses.

As far as the issue goes I would not be telling the truth if I said it was my life long passion to legalize the possession and cultivation of small amounts of marijuana for patients who have a doctor's recommendation. However it is a cause I believe in. Mandatory sentencing for possession of marijuana is causing our prisons to overflow. As my resume supports I worked on a jail bond referendum campaign to build another prison due to overcrowding and the costs associated with overcrowding to taxpayers. I do understand that the Arizona ballot initiative is not about mandatory sentencing though, it is about palliative care. I have a close friend whose brother was diagnosed with brain cancer at the age of 35, and at the end of a long battle that he waged for two years against the cancer, marijuana was his choice of relief, but not legally.

I believe that legalizing the possession and cultivation of small amounts of marijuana on a state by state basis will lead to a different and sharper focus for the U.S. “war on drugs”. The good people in law enforcement will be able to refocus resources on solving true criminal activity and people can be made more comfortable when they are ill.

It is my belief that marijuana, especially marijuana recommended by a doctor is less harmful than any drug being advertised legally on television today that comes with a disclaimer at the end of the commercial which says and I am paraphrasing “side effects may include lymphoma, boils on your face or bleeding out of ones’ eyeballs”. It is time to change the U.S. drug policy on marijuana.

I am ready to fight the good fight and hope that you will consider me for the position of Campaign Manager.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Sincerely,
I drank my own kool aid, fuck me


Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you all have health insurance

No comments: