Friday, July 10, 2015

the other side

had a scary dream last night.

well maybe i should start here instead:  a few years ago, about 6 months after we had to put Gus dog down, marty and i and family were willing to explore the idea of visiting the animal rescue league with the intent of bringing home a k9.  we met some nice dogs, but the one dog that compelled us to fill out an application and place our name 4th on a waiting list was a big black mastiff puppy with a disposition that i knew was special, he had that thing that je ne sais quoi.  so obviously "kobe" was a hot ticket and we witnessed the 1st folks on the waiting list have a meet and greet with "kobe" and their dog and it seemed like the dogs would be fast friends.  we went home sans k9.

two or three mornings later marty and i are laying in bed sharing tales from dreamland and my dream involved being chased by a big black dog who could climb ladders and fences.  i recall feeling exhilerated and scared running and staying just ahead of this dog when the dog says "you don't have to be afraid of me".  i stopped and turned around and said "you can talk?"  the dog replied "yes" and then asked me what my name was.  I said "nicole, what's your name?"  he said "Ace".

later that morning i'm at work and receive a phone call that "kobe" is available, the other homes didn't work out and are we still interested?  i called my husband and said "Ace needs a ride home".

he fucking named himself.

so last night as i was drifting off to sleep, Ace came to me again in my dream.  he stood in the hallway outside our bedroom and it was dark with a strange moonlight that allowed for my eyes to just make out shapes but not details. i could see that Ace was not alone, Gus was with him.  Gus has been dead for three years.  i knew in my dream that this was a bit grim reaper-like, and in the dream marty sat up in bed and shielded me from being taken and i awoke crying and saying i'm not ready.

needless to say, i'm a bit rattled today.


Gus



Ace