Thursday, November 6, 2008

quitting smoking

Well to say the least I am so very pleased to be a citizen of the U.S., and an Iowan for that matter. A state that is something like 98% caucasian chose a black man as their democratic nominee on a cold winter night and started the whole ball rolling. As a matter of fact in the midst of all the excitement of learning Obama won the Iowa caucuses I was racing downtown with my precinct captain and friend to see Obama give his thank you speech and I got a speeding ticket. The officer approached my door and I was so jazzed, I was talking a mile a minute and explained that I was so happy about the way the caucuses turned out that I didn't realize I was speeding. He said "who's your candidate?" I said "who's yours?" We both laughed and then i batted my eyes, yet he still wrote me a ticket. Probably a Huckabee fan.

I am wondering today if the McCain supporters felt/feel as badly as I did four years ago when Kerry lost? And my feeling is that it stings less for them, than it did for me four years ago. Am I just so euphoric and proud that I am oblivious to any disappointment that the McCain supporters may in fact be dealing with? Or does Obama transcend that type of partisanship. I've been reading and listening to the world congratulate the U.S. for electing Obama as #44. For as long as I've known this song existed I thought the Republicans owned it but it is going through my head and I picture Michelle Obama singing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" or as it is known in most circles "Proud to be an American" if you must watch the link, note all the black people in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssIN3ustUw

I checked out a book from the library yesterday about how to write a winning cover letter. Kill me now.

No comments: